History and Campuses
The foundations of the University of Jyväskylä lie in the first Finnish-speaking teacher training college, Jyväskylä Teacher Seminary, established in 1863 by Uno Cygnaeus. He is often called "the Father of the Finnish Primary School System".
Teacher training and forward-looking work in teaching are counted among our strengths, along with natural sciences, humanities, sport and health.
Campus on the lakesides Jyväsjärvi
Over the last few decades, the University has extended its grounds with two new campus areas on the opposing banks of Lake Jyväsjärvi.Encouraged by the positive experiences of Seminaarinmäki, the Mattilanniemi and Ylistönrinne areas have been planned carefully and they have their own unique features.
The Seminaarinmäki (Seminar Hill) campus of the University of Jyväskylä has often been said to the most beautiful in the country. Its reputation stems from the integration of different designs which have been carefully assembled over the course of centuries. The campus contains achitectural terasures dating from a range of time periods, all of which are encompassed by a beautiful park featuring an diversification of flora. Old family quarters housed next to the campus date back to the beginning of 1900s further adding to the beauty of the area.
The Seminaarinmäki area is of particular interest as it depicts over 100 years of history of this institute of higher education. The three distict eras in the history of the University, first as a Teacher Training College (Seminar) 1863-1937), then as the Jyväskylä College of Education (1934-1966) to its present-day university status (1966-) are reflected both in the buildings dating from the different periods. The old Seminar buildings and the college buildings designed by Alvar Aalto are all listed buildings protected by the law.
Because of the need to build more facilities for the University, new buildings have been designed, many of them by achitect Arto Sipinen.
The Faculty of Education has facilities of most recent design called Ruusupuisto (2015) by SARC Architects Ltd. The building got its name by the former Ruusupuisto Park. It was named after the many luxuriant rosebushes planted on its southern hill.
Milestones in the history of the University of Jyväskylä
- 2013 University of Jyväskylä celebrated its 150-year-old history of first establishing the Finnish Teacher Education
- 2009 University of Jyväskylä's 75th anniversary
- 2004 University of Jyväskylä's 70th anniversary
- 2003 Ministry of Education designates University of Jyväskylä as University of Excellence in Adult Education
- 1998 The Faculty of Information Technology and the School of Business and Economics are founded
- 1973 The Faculty of Education and Social Sciences is divided into two: the Faculty of Education and the Faculty of Social Sciences
- 1966 The College of Education becomes a university with faculties in education and social sciences, humanities, mathematics and science, and sport sciences
- 1965 The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science is founded
- 1963 The subject of Physical Education is launched at the Faculty of Philosophy
- 1958 The Faculty of Philosophy is founded, which hosts the Department of Education and the Department of History and Linguistics. Also several new professorships in the humanities are founded.
- 1944 The College of Education is authorized to award Master’s degrees in Education. Doctoral dissertation is also made possible.
- 1934 The Teacher College becomes the Jyväskylä College of Education
- 1863 The first Finnish Teacher College (Seminary) is founded in Jyväskylä - Personnel 16, Students 49